March: New Monitoring and Evaluation System
My
co-worker, Fredy, and I worked on finalizing the new monitoring and evaluation
plan for FH Peru. FH Peru has never before
had a system for evaluating the results of their ministry here. It has been a challenge to create a system
that incorporates not only quantitative data collection, but also gives staff
opportunity to reflect on their work in communities, and capture qualitative
stories of change. Our goal with this
new monitoring and evaluation tool is to enable the information gathered to
inform donors about the progress of different projects and the improvement and
transformation occurring in the communities where we serve. Additionally, this information would be used
by staff to learn from our experiences and make adjustments to activities. We have been using and improving this new
evaluation process for about six months, and it seems to be working well. Please continue to pray our analysis of our
projects will enlighten both staff and donors.
April: All Staff Retreat
Staff
from all three Peruvian regions (Lima , Pucallpa and Huancavelica) came together outside of Lima for an all-staff
retreat. The focus of the retreat was
team building and learning different strategies for dealing with stress. What a great time of sharing, encouragement,
and growing together! At the retreat, Fredy and I presented the new evaluation
system to the staff.
May: FH Peru hosted the FH Latin American Annual
Regional Retreat
Over
thirty visitors came from 7 different countries for about two weeks. I was responsible for organizing the
logistics for many of those travelers.
(organizing transportation pick up to and from the airport, hotel reservations,
meal reservations, etc.).
June:
Community Based Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation Training
For
the last year or so I have been part of an FH working group from all over the
world who have been collaborating in the creation of new training materials
that FH will use to help communities become better prepared for disasters. In June the coordinator/ leader of this
working group (my friend Sara Sywulka from the Washington ,
DC FH office) came to Peru to train
our staff in using these new materials that contain new community planning tools I organized the logistics of the training
sessions and also assisted Sara.
The
best part of the week was getting a chance to work in the field helping some
community leaders put disaster preparedness into practice. It was great to see how these new tools
helped community leaders analyze the disaster risks facing their communities
and begin to think about the ways they can plan to mitigate these risks. I really enjoyed working in the communities
again (it has been a long time since I have had a chance to do this). The female community leaders were also
excited to see my pregnant belly and share with me their advice for being a new
mother (a great sharing opportunity). It
is a blessing that God has enabled me to use my gifts of computer skills and
organization to indirectly assist others in their call to minister to the poor
here in Lima in
my time of new motherhood, but I still have a heart for working directly with
the people here. I trust the Lord to know
what is best for this time.
| Practicing Disaster Preparedness Tool in Community |
| One of the Disaster Preparedenss Tools - Community Risk Mapping |
|
| FH Staff who participated in the training |
June: Farewell to FH Peru Director,
Ryan Smedes
After
almost 4 years of service, our country Director stepped down to take on a new
role in the FH office in Washington
DC . It was really sad to say good bye to Ryan and
his family (I have especially been missing my friend Angela, his wife), but we
are excited to see how God uses Ryan in his new role as the FH Director of
Livelihoods and Economic Development.
The search is still on for a new Director, but in the mean time, Noemi
Gamonal (FH program manager and my boss) has taken on the role of interim
director. Until August, I was also
helping Noemi by providing support in the 2013 budget process, and our plans
for expanding work into new communities in 2013.
July: Praise the Lord for your new
home!
Cristian
and I became home owners in July, when the apartment we purchased back in
September of 2011 was finally finished and the builders handed us the
keys. At the end of the month, my
parents came to visit and they were a huge blessing helping us with getting the
apartment ready to move in (painting, installing appliances, and other tasks). Our
apartment is located in front of a huge park, and in the mornings and evenings
the trees fill with birds chirping and singing.
It is a great blessing to be close to God’s natural creation in the
midst of the huge, bustling city of Lima .
| our new living room under construction |
| Our new apartment building |
August: Cristian and I became Parents!
On
August 18 at 8:40 in the morning, after more than 18 hours of active labor, we
welcomed to our family Caleb Aurelio Alegre Woodside. Here is what my mom wrote about the birth:
“Caleb has been a huge blessing in
our lives, and we are completely in love with our little man.”
| About a week before Caleb was born |
September – November and beyond:
As
we learn to be Mommy and Daddy the last few months, I have been blessed to have
maternity leave and vacation in order to spend time with Caleb. Cristian was able to take a couple of weeks
off when Caleb was born and then had to go back to work. We are both adjusting to our new roles as
parents and figuring out new routines and schedules. We have also been blessed to have some help
at home – Maria is a wonderful Christian woman who comes several times a week
to help me with cleaning and other household errands.
In December, I will be returning part-time to ministry with
FH. I am hoping to work out a schedule which
allows fewer hours in the office and do the rest of my work from home, since
much of my duties involve writing reports, translations, and doing research. Maria will also help us care for Caleb (along
with Cristian’s mom) when I return to work at FH. Getting to know Maria has been a huge answer
to prayer; both ours and hers, as she had been looking for full time work to
help support her family (she is a mother of 6 – 2 grown and 4 school
aged). Please continue to pray for us as
I transition back into ministry with FH and we continue to learn what it means
to be parents. We know that this is the
hardest job either of us will have and we will need God’s love and grace to do
it well.
Blessings to you all,
Lauren, Cristian, and
Caleb
No comments:
Post a Comment